Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

DIY | Deep Conditioner

Last Friday, I ventured into uncharted beauty territory: DIY, or "do it yourself," beauty treatments. DIY beauty recipes have always been around, but I stayed away from experimentation for years. I blame my recent foray into DIY beauty on Pinterest.

While poking around on Pinterest, I pinned a recipe for DIY deep conditioner especially for curly hair. I followed the recipe to create a deep conditioning mixture with ingredients found right in my kitchen:  two raw eggs and a cup of mayonnaise. Allegedly, these ingredients add shine and moisture to your hair. Who doesn't want shiny, moisturized hair? And with that thought, I ventured up to my bathtub.

What happened next is undocumented footage. As you can imagine, the whole process was messy. I set the bowl with my DIY conditioner in my bathtub and applied it to my hair in small handfuls, hanging my hair over my head so the mixture didn't drip all over me. Surprisingly, my hair absorbed the mixture like a sponge. I was able to apply the mixture with little residue sliding off my hair. Once all the mixture was in my hair, I used a Turbie Towel to wrap my hair on top of my head, then I ran a bath and let the DIY conditioner do its work while I read some magazines.

This is where things got ugly.

I drained the bathtub and ran a shower, taking the Turbie Towel off so I could wash my hair. My hair was stiff as a board, and washing this DIY conditioner out was a long, smelly process that smelled like, you guessed it, raw eggs and mayo. It was nauseating, slimy, and unpleasant. Once all the mixture was washed out, I conditioned my hair with my usual conditioner and dried it, expecting fantastic results after the ordeal I endured.

My hair did look more shiny, but that's about it. It took a full week for my hair to return to its normal state.

After my experience, I stand firm on my DIY beauty avoidance-- unless, of course, you have tried and true beauty recipes to share with me, which I would love to hear about in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a recipe for disaster! I've washed my hair in rainwater (softens), rinsed it with vinegar (astringent that softens), used lemon juice (lightens in sunlight), and remember the time we scrubbed our hands with baking soda and they were really soft? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a recipe for disaster! It seems like all the DIY solutions for hair are smelly, aside from rainwater. And yes, I remember the baking soda softener! Could be time to try it again!

      Delete
  2. The mayo in the hair...been there, done that. I had smelly hair for far longer than the shiny results lasted lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have consulted your expertise beforehand! Sounds like we are both "learn from experience" people! :-)

      Delete
  3. COCONUT OIL! I'm working on a blog post about all of the amazing, tried and true ways it can be used outside of food--as a hair conditioner, lotion, moisturizer, mouthwash, makeup remover, shaving cream, scar treatment... Give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, I can't wait to read your post! I am intrigued! And of course I always anticipate your Friday Fancies!!

      Delete