Pages

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Taking The Plunge


Sometimes, you have to take the plunge. I learned this lesson at the age of 19 in one of my best friend’s bathrooms.

We stood at her bathroom counter, doing our makeup together. My friend reached for her favorite eyeliner, the one that made her green eyes even more magnificent. Somehow, through a cruel twist of fate, her eyeliner ended up in the toilet. I knew there was only one thing I could do to help her.

If you’ve ever spent a little time with me, you would probably describe me as clean. If you’ve known me for years or lived with me, you know I am a clean freak. I knew I needed to take the plunge in order to help my friend.

With great urgency, I walked over to the toilet and reached my hand into the water. I quickly retrieved the lost eyeliner and threw it into the sink. What happened after that was a mixture of shock, disgust, and a solid fifteen minutes of hand washing in scalding hot water.

What’s the lesson here? Some makeup products are worthy of sticking your hand into the toilet.  We are uncomfortable more often than we’d like, but it’s worth it to be uncomfortable. The beauty of life is the growth that results from uncomfortable moments. An added benefit is the laughter that accompanies our stories, because each time we laugh and remember our uncomfortable moments, we remember how much we have grown.

9 comments:

  1. I'm going to be "that girl" and point out that if a toilet is kept clean, then the water inside is not that bad. (You've probably heard of studies that show how toilet water is often more sanitary than water from a drinking fountain, etc.) Still, I know how you must've felt at the time, proving how great of a friend you always are! This also reminded me of a sleepover, when, during a clearly out-of-hand round of Truth or Dare, a friend had to lick the inside of a toilet bowl... She lived to tell the tale, but I was relieved I was only dared to eat a tube of ChapStick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes on the Truth or Dare, and fair point on the toilet cleanliness. It still grossed me out and grosses me out to this day!

      Delete
  2. I miss living with you because you kept our dorm so clean and fresh! One could never run out of febreeze. You're a true friend in getting your hands dirty to save eyeliner. :)

    Andrea @ Cheers To School

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss living with you, too-- you had the best music and always shared your yummy snacks in our snack closet! :-) Love from Ohio to China.

      Delete