Pages

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Review | e.l.f. Studio Lip Exfoliator

Trapped in your house this snowy, cold weekend? Do yourself (and your lips) a favor and check out this simple remedy for under $10.

Let's face it:  Dry, chapped lips happen. The good news is, there's a solution for ladies and gentlemen alike.

e.l.f. Studio Lip Exfoliator.

Even typing its name makes me happy. Behold it in all its glory:

e.l.f. Studio Lip Exfoliator ($3)
Bask in its exfoliating powers as you appreciate key ingredients, including avocado oil, jojoba, and shea butter:

Just imagine this on your lips!
One more look, because I had a feeling you'd want a close up:

You're welcome.
The best part about this lip exfoliator is that it takes 60 seconds or less to use. All you do is wet your lips with warm water, then apply the exfoliator in small, swirling motions to your upper and lower lip. Dab off any excess scrub with a tissue, and then apply a heavy duty lip balm to moisturize and condition your lips. I like to use C.O. Bigelow Apothecaries Rose Salve No. 012:

$5.50 and it lasts for years. Good investment for a great product with multiple uses.
You'll notice that your lips are free from chapped, dry skin after this quick process. As a bonus, your lips will tingle for several minutes, which I find to be quite pleasant. I have noticed a drastic difference in the appearance and feel of my lips since incorporating this exfoliator into my routine.

One small caveat in regard to the lip exfoliator is one of its ingredients, aspartame. Aspartame is an artificial sweetener that has been approved and upheld for use by the FDA. As a rule, I avoid artificial sweeteners in my diet because I dislike how I feel after consuming them. When using this exfoliator, I avoid eating or drinking for several hours to minimize the amount of aspartame that I could potentially consume. I know this sounds excessive, but it's a precaution I like to take.

Overall, a worthwhile product that saves my lips in the harsh winter months.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review! I would have no idea how to use this without your expert advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I have four more if you ever want one!

      Delete
  2. This lip exfoliator looks fun! I'll have to try it. You might want to reconsider the rose salve, though, and other Vaseline-type products in which petroleum jelly is the main ingredient. Sure, basically everything is a carcinogen these days, but petrolatum is one of the biggest potential offenders and is even banned for cosmetic use in the EU. It's such a pain, but I try to consult this list before I buy anything new: http://wellandgoodnyc.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/dirty_dozen.pdf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link! Will be investigating new lip balms that are as intensely hydrating as the Rose Salve... Suggestions always appreciated! :-)

      Delete
    2. I've used Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment for years, and I'm obsessed! It's a bit pricey, though, so I've been looking into making my own lip balm. There are a ton of natural recipes on Google that look pretty easy to make, and the ingredients could be used in a homemade body butter, as well!

      Delete