Pages

Tuesday, January 7, 2014

What Is Beauty?


Beauty is a complex idea that means something different to everyone.


Growing up, I always knew that going to my grandma’s house meant playing with makeup. My grandma would allow me to do her makeup (with great patience on her part), and then she would do my makeup. I loved the way blush highlighted my cheekbones, how the mascara made my eyelashes brush against my glasses, and how the right eyeshadow could brighten my blue eyes. In those afternoons we shared at her vanity, my grandma cultivated my lifelong interest in makeup.

But beauty is more than makeup. The most beautiful parts of life are learned in moments that develop our character.

I believe that women are made to be beautiful in character and in appearance. Perhaps the greatest example of this is in the Book of Esther. One of the first things we learn about Esther is that she is beautiful. Then, we learn that Esther is a wonderfully smart, powerful woman who is an advocate of peace and a voice for an oppressed people. She’s basically like a modern day Miss America contestant who blew the competition away in the Q+A portion and won the crown. Esther’s character is what made her beautiful. Her outward beauty is an added bonus.

As this blog grows, I hope everyone will keep in mind that, while I love reviewing beauty products and using makeup, I value my mind and my character most of all. I hope this blog inspires you and challenges you as we discover The Beauty of Life.

2 comments:

  1. Bee-you-tee-ful! That's what Grandma would say.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly! And probably even more exaggerated than that!

    ReplyDelete